These more-ish biscuits are a delicious alternative to gingerbread.
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 250g softened butter
- 2 ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 ¾ cups plain flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 2 Tbs castor sugar
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 125g butter
- ¼ cup honey
- Cream 250g butter and brown sugar. Add egg and combine. Add flour a cup at a time, and finally the baking powder, mixed spice and cinnamon. Mixture should come together to form a dough – remove from bowl, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line four biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and pull into four parts. Roll out each part in turn on a lightly floured bench and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes from the dough. Transfer to baking tray and sprinkle with castor sugar. Bake in batches for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow biscuits to cool on the tray for five minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the remaining butter and the honey, adding icing sugar half a cup at a time. Spread icing over half the biscuits, then place un-iced biscuits on top, matching for size. Store in an air-tight container.